Monday, June 05, 2006

Getting Started with Electric Rc Airplanes

Your first plane doesn't need to cost a fortune. The first plane I bought cost $99.00. I haven't done much research, but I don't think you'll find one much cheaper than that. But it was $99.00 well spent. My first plane had a range of half a mile. Imagine being able to fly a plane a half a mile away from you. It also had a computer chip inside it that would level out the plane if it entered a steep dive preventing it from crashing. That's an excellent feature to have for beginners.

Never buy electric rc airplanes from a toy store. Always buy them from a hobby shop. If your local hobby shop doesn't carry them, they can also be bought online.

Ready to fly electric rc airplanes are a great choice to start out with. They call them ready to fly because they come with everything you need to get started: the plane, remote control, charger, and batteries. Another nice thing about them, is ready to fly electric rc airplanes only take about 5 minutes to put together.

Its best to start out with a two-channel plane. Electric rc airplanes come in three channels, two channel, three channel, and four channel. Three channel and four channel planes give you more control and you can perform acrobatic maneuvers with them like barrel rolls and loops, but there more difficult to fly. The are best left to more experienced flyers.

When you buy your first plane, you may want to consider getting a second battery pack. Flight times vary depending on the type of plane you buy, but usually the batteries only last about 12-18 minutes.

One more thing, always fly your plane in an open field. The reason is, while your learning to fly you will crash many many many times. It's not a question of if, but when. At least in an open field you don't have to worry about crashing into rooftops, tree branches, or into the pavement. Electric rc airplanes are designed to withstand crashes, but they can only take so much. This can be an expensive hobby when you don't fly in open fields. I find that soccer fields, football fields, schoolyards and even your local park make ideal flying places.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Q. How gutted am I?
A. Very, no extremely!
Q. Why?
A. My Firebird Commander 2 arrived today. It took only around 2 minutes to put together, and two and half hours to charge. I eagerly awaited the moment when I took to the sky, however my experience did not really go according to plan.

I went to my local park, found a unoccupied field, checked the windspeed, put on my sun glasses, conducted the final checks, took off my sun glasses, extended the aerial, full throttle, gave a nice level throw into the wind, and hey, I was flying. Now, lets turn...erm...it id not really like driving an r/c car, I went to turn left but nothing, and right, even less. I reduced the throttle and tried again, perfect. So around two minutes later, I thought, this is not so difficult, even though I was walking around the field aimlessley following a semi out of control r/c glider, and then it happened. A 60ft oak tree suddenly appeared from nowhere, jumping out in front of my glider. Bang! whirly gravity falling sound, boom! The rear tail and rudders disintergrated...my smile was wiped firmly from my face. Dejected and down, I loaded the remains into my Jeep and drove the short distance home. Joking aside, despite being able to fly until tomorrow, I was amazed by how little the FC2 was damaged really. A quick search on the internet found the replacement part will only set me back £6-8...so I will be soon endangering more Oak trees in my area soon! Watch out and good luck. Lessons learned the hard way!

11:26 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

A nice and informative blog it really helps the beginners. I learnt so much about how to get start with rc airplane. I never experienced that so it really helps me in increasing skills. Thanks for the informative post keep up the good work.

Regards
Brett
Nitrotek

3:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home